1851 – The year of the Great ExhibitionWonersh, a village of well under a hundred households, had remained a small, virtually self-contained village with relatively little change ever since the collapse of the West Surrey wool trade at, or just after, the end of Elizabeth I's reign. It consisted mainly of the single street, with Wonersh Park Mansion on the site of the present Church Green. There were also groups of cottages in enclosures north along the Common and the older large houses (the Tangleys, Lostiford Mill) with associated farm buildings and workers' cottages.
1897 – Diamond Jubilee of Queen VictoriaWonersh started expanding in the 1870s with the construction of the Lawnsmead cottages for workers in the Summersbury Tannery (sometimes called Gosden Tannery). Travel to work outside the village would probably still have been unusual, though the railways through Bramley will have provided the impetus for wealthier professional people to live in the village and work in Guildford or even London.
1935 – Silver Jubilee of George VIncreasing mobility - for the rich by car, for the less well off by train or the now ubiquitous bus - allowed people to live further from their work and Wonersh continued to grow, albeit slowly by later standards. Wonersh Park Mansion had been demolished in 1929 and Church Green had been bought and given to the village. The Memorial Hall had been built as a practical memorial to those killed in the First World War.
1952 – Accession of Elizabeth IIIn a short 17 years, including the six years of the Second World War, Wonersh virtually doubled in size. The desire and ability, given cheaper travel, to live in an attractive village made it possible for large areas of land to be sold and developed very rapidly; these were Wonersh Park and the former Seminary playing fields (between Barnett Lane and the Common). As after the First World War, the village memorial to the Second World War was a practical one - the construction of the Recreation Ground on a piece of wooded and boggy common land near the centre of the village.
1977The past 25 years have seen, compared with the previous 17 years, relatively small additions to the village. Establishing control over development by Town and Country Planning, including the limitation of village expansion, limited additions to the 'completion' of development in the north-east corner and infilling elsewhere. The increase in car ownership, amongst other reasons, leads to the Guildford-Horsham railway following the Wey-Arun Canal into oblivion.