WONERSH
© Wonersh History Society - www.wonershhistory.co.uk (WHS)
HISTORY SOCIETY

THE GRANTLEY ARMS

According   to   the   pub’s   sign,   The   Grantley   Arms   was   established   in   1590   although   British   Listed   Buildings   describe   it   as   a   15th   Century building. WHAT’S IN A NAME? The   Grantley   Arms   has   changed   its   name   a   number   of   times:      in 1687   it   was   called   The   Hector   Inn;      in   1719   it   became   The   George;     in   1723   it   was   back   to   being   The   Hector   Inn   again.      The   name   ‘The Grantley   Arms’   cannot   be   any   earlier   than   1782   because   it   was   then that    Fletcher    Norton    became    a    peer    and    took    the    title    Baron Grantley of Markenfield. LICENSEES When    the    photograph    opposite    was    taken,    the    landlord    was William   May.       At   the   time   of   the   first   Grantley   sale   in   1884   (when Wonersh   Park   was   sold   to   John   Sudbury)   it   was   George   Bird,    said to   have   been   Lord   Grantley’s   butler.      Rumour   has   it   that   he   either won   the   pub   from   Lord   Grantley   in   a   gambling   game   or   that   the pub   was   given   to   him   in   lieu   of   wages.      No   later   than   1898   W   C Callingham was licensee. Various   photographs   show   that   the   pub   has   been   altered   considerably   over   the   years   -   windows   have   been   added   and   enlarged;   doors have been put in, taken out and put in again. CARRIAGES FOR HIRE A     board     underneath     the     left-hand     window     in     this photograph   advertises   open   and   closed   carriages   for   hire.     It   appears   The   Grantley   Arms   did   a   good   trade   in   carriage hire   and   had   considerable   stabling   at   the   back,   much   of which survives although altered. THINGS THAT GO BUMP IN THE NIGHT In   the   History   Society   Bulletin   of   Autumn   1999,   Vivien   Cockran    of   The   Grantley   Arms   told   of   two   ghosts.      One   was   a   lady   in   grey   who haunted   the   bakery   part   of   the   restaurant,   originally   a   bottle   store,   and   the   other   a   man,   said   to   be   a   traveller   spending   the   night   who   was murdered   for   his   money.      A   restaurant   customer,   a   Mrs   Washington   who   lived   in   one   of   the   Grantley   Cottages,   stayed   at   the   Grantley during   the   war   and   said   a   ghost   used   to   lift   the   latch   on   her   bedroom   door   and   pull   her   bedclothes   off.      She   was   interviewed   by   the   Surrey Advertiser   when   they   were   writing   an   article   in   1958/59   about   the   disturbances   at   the   Grantley   at   Christmas.      One   evening   Vivien   Cockran and   several   customers   witnessed   a   big   Christmas   tree   thrown   across   the   room   and   customers   in   the   bar   were   astonished   to   witness   the glass shelves and bottles in the cocktail bar thrown across the bar to land on the other side.  Spooky!